PT Health Life

7 signs that the body lacks calcium and needs supplementation

0 23,551

PT health Life – Calcium not only plays an important role in bones and teeth, but is also an indispensable part of the nervous system, muscles and immune system. So what will the symptoms be when the body lacks calcium?

1. If the body lacks calcium, the following symptoms will appear:

1. Dizziness, numbness and fatigue

Sitting in one place for a long time makes your arms and legs numb, your back hurts, and when you stand up you feel dizzy . This feeling only lasts for a few dozen seconds and then returns to normal.

2. Frequent cramps

Cramping is one of the early symptoms of calcium deficiency . Muscle pain, especially in the thighs, arms, armpits… while moving or walking can also be a sign of calcium deficiency.

3. Weak and brittle nails

Nails also need enough calcium to grow strong and not become brittle. Weak and brittle nails are also a sign of calcium deficiency in the body.

4. Osteoporosis

Bone loss and osteoporosis are the most notable manifestations in the list of symptoms of calcium deficiency. Bone loss often occurs in menopausal or postmenopausal women whose estrogen levels decrease, which reduces calcium absorption. Because when the body lacks calcium, it will withdraw calcium from the bones to serve the needs of the heart and other organs.

Osteopenia (the beginning stage of osteopenia) and osteoporosis need to be monitored and evaluated regularly, by measuring bone density and periodically checking blood calcium levels.

5. Insomnia

This is also an important sign of calcium deficiency. In many cases, people who do not get enough calcium in their diet will suffer from insomnia . In some cases, people lacking calcium still sleep, but the sleep is not deep enough, and they still feel tired when they wake up.

Particularly for children, there will be some other typical symptoms such as:

Young children will often be startled, cry when sleeping, and have slow development of motor skills (slow to crawl, stand, walk…). If calcium deficiency persists, children may have bowed legs, scoliosis …

For growing children, the most obvious sign is that the child often complains of bone pain when moving and the pain relieves when resting or being massaged.

Calcium deficiency can cause many health problems and affect quality of life.

6. Teeth become yellower and grow slowly

Teeth and bones are greatly affected when you lack calcium. Therefore, when you notice this sign, you need to check the amount of calcium in your diet and check bone mineral density, because this is one of the signs of calcium deficiency.

7. In women, premenstrual symptoms appear

Symptoms you often experience before each menstrual period such as acne, breast pain, back pain , abdominal pain, sleep disorders, headaches, muscle pain, stress, loss of concentration… appear more often than usual. . This is related to calcium, which will decrease if enough calcium is provided for the body’s needs.

2. What to do when the body lacks calcium?

Calcium is an essential mineral, of which 98 – 99% is concentrated in bones and teeth, the remaining 1% of calcium is in the blood and cells, but plays a very important role in maintaining normal function. body’s ability. The right amount of calcium is important for bones, muscles and nerves to function well, helping to  stabilize blood pressure, maintain heart rhythm, blood clotting, regulate hormones and send nerve signals on time. point…

When there are signs of calcium deficiency, you need to go to a medical facility to determine whether you are deficient or not, and then have a reasonable calcium supplement solution.

According to WHO recommendations, the amount of calcium needed for the body is: 

  • Children 0 – 1 year old need 400mg – 600mg/day; Children 1 – 10 years old need 800mg/day.
  • Adults 11 – 24 years old need 1200mg/day; Adults 24 – 50 years old need 800mg – 1000mg/day.
  • Pregnant women and the elderly need 1200 mg – 1500 mg/day.

To supplement calcium, you should increase the intake of dark green leafy vegetables such as kale, broccoli, green radishes and cabbage into your daily diet. Other calcium-rich foods include: Salmon, sardines, mackerel and tuna, cheese, milk, soybeans, almonds and sesame seeds… Seafood dishes such as shrimp, crab, oysters, fish. ..

To help your body absorb calcium better, you should also increase your daily vitamin D intake by eating egg yolks, oysters, shrimp, mushrooms and some fortified foods such as cereals, oatmeal and orange juice. ..

Exposure to sunlight for 15 minutes a day will help the body synthesize natural vitamin D. If you take calcium and vitamin D supplements,  you should follow your doctor’s instructions.

Do not drink too much coffee, tea or other caffeinated beverages. Limit foods high in protein.

Đánh giá bài viết
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.